A note about The Cuddlywumps Chronicles

This blog is written and maintained by Miss Cuddlywumps, a fluffy-tailed calico cat who is both classically educated and familiar with mysteries. She receives creative input from the Real Cats and clerical assistance from She of Little Talent (old SoLT, a.k.a. Roby Sweet). Comments or complaints should be addressed to Miss C rather than to old SoLt (Ms. Sweet). Ms. Sweet accepts no responsibility for Miss C's opinions.

Friday, June 8, 2018

Words with Webster: Cheshirization, Plus Friendly Fill-Ins


We have two fun Friday features for you today. First up is Real Cat Webster, who has a catty word to share (but perhaps not catty enough, as you’ll see!). After that, it’s on to Friendly Fill-Ins!

Words with Webster

Words with Webster

Hi, everybody! It’s me, Real Cat Webster. Welcome to Words with Me. Today’s word is “Cheshirization.” I learned this word last week when Mommy was looking up stuff about Alice in Wonderland. At first I thought it must mean “to turn into a Cheshire Cat” or something like that, but that’s not really it. “Cheshirization” is a word from linguistics. It’s not even in our usual dictionaries, so I went to Wiktionary and learned that this word means this:
One or several sound changes which preserve a phonological distinction in a re-expressed form.
I didn’t understand that at all (even Mommy went, “Huh?” and she’s kind of smart), so I had to look on Wikipedia. Okay … so according to Wikipedia, Cheshirization is when a sound disappears from a word but leaves behind a trace—like how the Cheshire Cat could gradually disappear, until only his smile was left.

The Cheshire Cat vanishing.
Illustration by John Tenniel in Lewis Carroll's
Alice in Wonderland (1865-66).
Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons.
It makes more sense when you see an example. The word “night” is a good one. Today the “gh” is silent, but it used to be pronounced—sort of like the end sound in “uhg” or “loch”— but that sound disappeared over time. It left something behind, though, and that is the long “i” sound, which used to be a short “i.” The long “i” is like the cat’s smile. So today we say “nite” instead of “nit.”

I’m sorry I couldn’t find a more catty example, but I had to use one that (a) was in English and (b) I understood!

I think we should make up a new meaning for this word because the current one is boring (except to linguists, I guess). I think the new meaning should be this:
When a cat disappears into a really great hiding spot, leaving only some shed fur behind in plain sight.
Here it is used in a sentence:
That clever Webster is a master of Cheshirization, especially when someone says “Vet.”
Do you have an idea for what Cheshirization could mean? Let us know in the comments!

Friendly Fill-InsFriendly Fill-Ins

And now it’s time for Friendly Fill-Ins, from 15andmeowing and The Four-Legged Furballs. This week, old SoLT answered the first two, and Real Cat Paisley did the second two.

Old SoLT’s answers:
1. My favorite subject in school was any kind of science. I took a lot of science in high school and started as a biology major in college.

2. An extracurricular activity I participated in was … well, I was in the science club, but I don’t remember that we ever actually did anything expect get our picture taken for the yearbook. This was back in the days before kids had to be in 67 activities all the time.

Real Cat Paisley’s answers:
3. I want to learn how to get outside. The dog goes outside, so why can’t I?

4. It takes courage to defy me when I want to be fed. I have sharp things on the ends of my paws, and I’m not afraid to use them!

10 comments:

  1. I definitely do dat kind of cheshirization!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it should mean when your cat does something naughty, like scratching your brand-new couch or peeing on your bathroom rug, and then gives you that guilty "knowing look" when you say, Boo, did you pee on this rug again? In a sentence: When questioned about the latest scratch marks on the new $5000 couch, Boo and Misha tried acting all innocent, but their cheshirization gave it away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating word! Like residue or a ghost left behind...I can dig it! Real Cat Paisley, around Eastside Cats, Angel just yells and yells when she wants her chow, and we really cannot do anything BUT feed her to quiet the noise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss my furrend CheshireK. Those last two fill-ins were right on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, "cheshirization" is such a fun word! I'm going to remember this one. And thank you for participating in the Friendly Fill-Ins! I always loved biology. When I was studying animal sciences in college, I of course had to take tons of biology courses, and I really enjoyed them. Paisley, Evan says your answer to #4 is purrfect! He knows how to use those sharp things on his paws to get his way in the kitchen, too. Happy Friday to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never even heard that word before! How fun! 67 activities is right. I don't know how kids can handle being into so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love Words with Webster. Great Fill Ins.

    Shoko and Tyebe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the word lesson, I was not familiar with it other than the Cheshire Cat. Thanks to SALT and Paisley for participating in the fill-ins, great answers. I never liked Biology because of the dissection part, I somehow managed to never have to cut anything myself though. Maybe you could go out on a harness Paisley. Have a nice weekend! XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so right about the 67 activities kids have to be in. Around here, there is 4H, little league, all manner of other sports, the kids next door are constantly going. It is a good thing the little league games are literally just a stone's throw away from our front yard or the neighbors might never make it to all of them. Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is the weirdest 'definition' I have heard in a long time. Heh heh!

    We have new neighbours, Mum is hoping they don't have foolish kids because there is no fence between or properties and kids can harm cats (unless they have good parents) and she will have to yell at them...

    ReplyDelete